Tuesday, June 23, 2015

He Bought Her a Wall...

When I turned thirteen years old a new TV show started beaming itself into my house once a week. Now, as a newly minted seventh grader I wasn't allowed to watch Dawson's Creek and yet in my first true act of teenage rebellion I managed to figure out a way to spend an hour once a week with Dawson, Joey, Pacey, and Jen. There are a lot of reasons why I hold this particular story story close to my heart and I could devote many, many blog posts to those reasons, but for today I think I'll simply write about one...

I am not a traditionally romantic girl. I do not get moon-eyed over pink holidays or spend my time daydreaming about beach strolls. And when it comes to love stories I prefer heroines who can save themselves to damsels in distress who need someone to swoop in. In fact, now that I'm writing about it, I really hate "swooping" in almost all its forms. I don't "ship" things (side note: I just learned what "shipping" is from my eighth grade students. For those in the dark, I encourage the use of google) and I don't get swept up in epic romances... except this one epic romance...

When Dawson's Creek first aired it was clear that the main focus would be on Dawson. It was his creek- his life that the show revolved around. But it took all of twenty minutes in the pilot for anyone with half a soul to notice the quiet brown-haired girl playing his best friend; Joey Potter: shy, passionate, artistic, and so incredibly insecure. It was clear that the writers of the show were as swept up with Joey as the rest of us watching at home and the story lines started bending towards her. One of those story lines happened to involve the world's greatest hockey player and my favorite Canadian: Joshua Jackson (aka Pacey).

In season three the writers did something wholly unexpected: they paired the female lead with the goofy sidekick. The storyline begins with Pacey and Joey spending more time together and becoming closer friends. They learn about what makes the other one tick and it isn't long before Pacey realizes that he loves this girl. These bullet points alone aren't what tied my teenage heart to this love story. I think what I loved was how tangible it felt. There was no running through airports or public declarations of affection. Joey didn't need a makeover and Pacey wasn't looking to change her. In fact, Pacey loved Joey as she was. He simply wanted to be someone who always encouraged her and was there for her. He wanted her to be exactly who she was meant to be. He wanted her to be great because he saw greatness in her. He believed in her when she couldn't see herself clearly. He trusted her. He respected her. His love wasn't loud or overbearing or a spectacle- it was quiet and selfless and consistent.

This is my favorite scene of these two. When I watched this moment on TV at the age of 16, I thought to myself, "Now that is romance." It doesn't matter how much time passes, whenever I catch a rerun or happen upon this youtube clip I still get the wind knocked out of me. This may be my one true girly indulgence.

You may be wondering, dear reader, why I am devoting precious blog space to a TV show that aired it's last episode before most of my students were even born. Well, I don't owe you an explanation, but here's one...

Last week I listened as a couple of my amazing Jr. High students talked about love. They spent about an hour dissecting the texts they'd received from boys and analyzing what in the world those few messages were really saying. My whole person ached as they came to the conclusion that until they lost more weight or learned something about video games or became "interesting" they were simply unloveable. They decided that their chests were too small, their thighs were too big, and they couldn't make their selfies look like Kim Kardashian's. Their little hearts longed to be seen and known and cherished. But they assumed that they weren't enough as they are.

I've been thinking about that conversation for a week now and I have many things to say about it. But for today, I simply want to say this: it took my 31 years on this planet to learn that real love has more tenacity than is painted for us in movies. Love isn't found on a scale or in a mirror. Love isn't defined by how many retweets you get or how often boys chase you. Pure, beautiful love is renting a girl a wall because she longs to be an artist and you want them to be exactly who they were created to be. Seeing someone, knowing them, cherishing them reveals itself not in using that wall as a bargaining chip to "win" that girl's heart, but in simply offering the gesture because you know it will make them smile.

My sweet girls (and boys) take the time to learn who you are. Take the time to love yourself, trust yourself, respect yourself and then when your Pacey comes along you'll be able to offer them something valuable- a whole person.


7 comments:

Clover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doreen said...

Oh I just love this. I actually never watched this show, but now I just may! :)

Alicia said...

I have gotten into arguments with friends over Joey and Pacey vs. Joey and Dawson. I always use the wall example as my reason why Pacey was the better fit for Joey. He loved who she was and who she could be. He pushed her to excel. He pushed her to be the best possible version of herself she could be. He challenged her in a healthy way. He was selfless. You wrote it so beautifully. I was also not able to watch "Dawson's Creek" as a teenage girl but I always babysat on Wednesday nights and after the kids went to bed, I was able to flip on the TV and catch up with my favorite show.

jennifer anderson said...

aw, love that too ;)

Yang Kuo said...

I have gotten into arguments with friends over Joey and Pacey vs. Joey and Dawson. I always use the wall example as my reason why Pacey was the better fit for Joey.

สูตรบาคาร่า
gclub

dokdok said...

ศัลยกรรมเสริมคาง
อีกหนึ่งศัลยกรรมหรืออีกหนึ่งทางออกสำหรับปัญหาของคนรูปคางสั้น รูปคางผิดรูปผิดรอยคนที่มีคางสั้น คางเล็ก คางปราศจากความนูนหรือคางร่นมาด้านข้างหลัง ทำให้บริเวณใบหน้ามองกลม หน้าสั้น ศูนย์กลางของบริเวณใบหน้ามองกว้าง คอดูมีเนื้อมาก ซึ่งเป็นรูปลักษณ์ที่ไม่สวยสวย
ซึ่งปัญหาพวกนี้สามารถปรับปรุงโดยการเสริมคาง ทำให้สามารถแลเห็นรูปคางได้แจ้งชัดบริเวณใบหน้าด้านล่างก็จะมองมีมิติ แล้วก็เป็นการปรับรูปหน้าให้วีเชฟได้รูปรูปทรงตามความอยากได้ของคนป่วย แต่ว่าดังนี้ขึ้นกับหมอผู้ผ่าตัดจะเป็นผู้ประเมินรูปร่างความเหมาะสมของรูปหน้าด้วย


เลเซอร์ขนขา
เลเซอร์รักแร้
เลเซอร์บิกินี
เลเซอร์ กำจัดขนหน้า
เลเซอร์ กำจัดขน รักแร้

dokdok said...

dual yellow laser
ดูโอ้เยลโล่เลเซอร์ จะให้เลเซอร์ออกมา 2 จำพวก จำพวกแรก เป็นเลเซอร์สีเหลืองความยาวคลื่น 578 nm. ซึ่งจะส่งผลต่อเส้นเลือดฝอยเล็กๆทำให้รอยแดงจางลง โดยไม่ทำให้ผิวข้างบนเสียหาย ก็เลยไม่กำเนิดจ้ำเลือด ข้างหลังการดูแลรักษาอย่างเช่นที่เกิดขึ้นมาจากเลเซอร์แบบเก่า จำพวกที่ 2 เป็นเลเซอร์สีเขียวความยาวคลื่น 511 nm. ซึ่งจะส่งผลต่อเม็ดสีของผิวหนังข้างบน แม้กระนั้นไม่ทำให้ผิวข้างล่างเสียหาย ทำให้ผิวขาว ใส รอยแดง เส้นเลือดฝอยจางลง มากยิ่งกว่ากระบวนการทำ IPL และก็รู้สึกตั้งแต่หนแรกที่ทำ แม้กระนั้นหากใช้เลเซอร์อีกทั้ง 2 จำพวกด้วยกัน จะให้เลเซอร์ที่มีพลังงานสูงมากพอ ที่จะกำจัดตุ่มเนื้องอกบางประเภทได้ ในที่สุดจากการประสมประสานการใช้เทคโนโลยี Fast Edge MicroPulse จะส่งผลกระตุ้นการผลิตคอลลาเจนของผิวหนัง ทำให้ช่วยคุ้มครอง และก็รักษาริ้วรอยของผิวหน้าได้

ทำ hifu
ทำ hifu ที่ไหนดี
ทำไฮฟู
ทำ ไฮฟู รีวิว